Big French Resource Sites
- Wikibooks has a great category on French including Lessons, Vocabulary, Texts and Further Study.
- French at About.com. You can’t make a Google Search for anything French related that doesn’t bring up About.com’s French page. An enormous resource; also use the handy checklist to track your study progress.
French Courses (free!)
- Deux Monde: all materials now free!
- FSI Language (Foreign Service Institute) courses including
- Introduction to French Phonology
- French Basic
- Le Monde Francophone
- Testing Kit – French and Spanish
- French FAST Courses and
- Headstart for Belgium.
You can find the Introduction to French Phonology in hardback (I found a copy at Powells Books in Portland, Oregon). I find it helpful to have the actual text, or sometimes print them.
- Loquella, Learn without Borders has Learn French Online which is the FSI content in another format.
- La Guinguette offers their entire course for free. Start with the beginner”s course, then the intermediate course, and finally the advanced course. If you want to download the audio, then yes, there’s a cost (I did this because I need to hear the audio over and over and over). I list all the links because it”s a bit confusing. You must click the “Subscriber’s Access” even though you didn’t actually subscribe to reach those pages.
- French Language Course by Jacques Léon.
Bonjour.com. Lots of easy lessons.
- French Pronunciation for Speakers of American English has audio files to hear the difference and
- French Slag. This is an awesome resource, way too much to list separately, just go visit now.
French Verb Conjugation and Practice
- Giant A – Z French verb conjugation reference at the University of Texas.
- Even more fun in the français interactif, to practice conjugating those verbs!
- Word References Verb Conjugator
- Le Conjugueur also available offline (see below under Software)
- Exercises de type (exercises by type)
- Flash cards are one of my favs. I love playing with Genius (software for Mac — maybe PC, will have to check). Find prepared Genius language decks and get the free Genius Software from MacUpdate
- Find tons of free already prepared flash cards at Flashcard Exchange, just $19.95 for unlimited access. Imagine how many hours it’d take to create your own flash cards, and here for a measly 20 bucks you can get them all! Tons of languages too, not just French.
- Le Conjugueur (Mac shareware) verb conjugation software
- Verb2Verb also an iPhone version.
Games & Quizzes
- Join Quizlet and have fun with all the various quizzes even create your own!
- Easy to get to because the url is so easy to remember, Translate.Google.com. It will remember (using Cookies I assume) your settings so next time it’s all ready to go. Translate to French from English or from French to English.
- Cute site for kids of all ages Hello World
French Language Learner’s Forums
- Jump Gate (see the free French Course above)